Old April 19th 12, 09:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

Default Speaking of Spitfires...

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:06:06 -0400, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" wrote:

On 17 Apr 2012 17:05:45 GMT, Unknown wrote:

Op Mon, 16 Apr 2012 23:01:19 +0930, schreef Dave Kearton:

"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" wrote in message

Lost Squadron Of Pickled Spitfires Found

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/
Lost_Spitfire_Squadron_206526-1.html

Schweet!

Interesting question of ownership. They'll be worth a few coins by
the time they hit the market.

Look at this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/w...r-two/8771012/
Spitfire-back-in-the-air-after-71-years.html

Cheers, H.

At this rate, the skies will soon be filled with Spitfires!

I really wonder at what kinds of corrosion may be there, despite the
pickling efforts taken when they were buried. Ground water and soil
acidity play a major role here.

Probably a ~bit~ less than in the case of the beached Spit linked
above... =) I wonder how much of the recovered airframe in such a
case can actually be used in the restoration.

The Flying Heritage Collection here in my neighborhood has a Bf 109E
that was similarly recovered from a French beach.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bf 109E-3  NX342FH  Flying Heritage Collection  PAE  10-18-08.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	55207