Old March 21st 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

Default JSF Price Tag Jumps to $135 Million

On Mar 21, 10:41*am, Andrew Chaplin
wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote in news:06e4c642-660b-43ad-ab48-
:

On Mar 21, 9:35*am, Andrew Chaplin
wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote in news:403ede79-f9c2-4ed1-9568-

[Generally, however, if you're firing smoke to mark a target, you're
dealing with a target that doesn't require smart ammo.]

Good point. I was thinking of gun positions concealed on a rocky
hillside, able to target laser flashes and kill the designator.

Few if any service lasers "flash," at least not in the visible light
spectrum. Laser designators are usually on only from the report of
"Splash" -- about five seconds. It is a challenge to bring fire to bear
before the guys with the laser f*** off.

If you're talking indirect fire artillery, gun positions are never to be
dealt with lightly; you need a counter-battery policy, the basis of which
should usually be "go big or stay quiet" lest you attract unwelcome
attentions. If you're dealing with DF arty, talk to your nearest tankie.

I'm old school, so if I were bringing in air on guns as you describe, I
would use some sort of load with DPICM submunitions. Those are not
precision weapons and fitting GPS or other targeting aids to them when
you can observe the target is, well, a waste of time and money.

(My own government has sworn off DPICM because of its tendency to leave
UXO all over the show, a policy I think ill-advised. A better idea would
be to go with a bomblet with an extremely low probability of landing
blind.)
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO