Old May 2nd 12, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Crunch Alert (USA) - hugely serious but (apparently) non-fatal

On Tue, 01 May 2012 20:01:19 +0000, John Firth wrote:

I am surprised that the rudder went full over, and slip would not
center it

I don't think I am, but this would depend on the seating geometry. I've
never seen a JS-1 so have no idea about its seating arrangements.

Here's the general idea. If you fly with knees raised you'll always have
some pressure on the pedals, so if the rudder cable snaps, both pedals
will go forward as described and you'll get full rudder toward the
unbroken cable side.

To let the rudder straighten out it will be necessary to get your feet
off the pedals and keep them off. In some gliders, particularly those
with flat floors, e.g. Discus 1, ASW-19,20 and Pegase, you can probably
pull your knees up and put your feet flat on the floor with your toes
resting against the pedal hinge bar if necessary. In a DG-300 you can
probably pull your knees toward you with your lower legs and heels
resting on the 'shelf' behind the pedals. However, in other gliders where
you fly with raised knees there are problems. If there isn't the space to
put your feet flat on the floor behind the pedal hinges this will be
extremely tiring after the first 5-10 minutes. Would it be possible at
all in an LS7 or 8? I have no idea if there's any foot room between the
front of the under-knee hump and the pedal pivots in these gliders.

WE should test controlability with feet off!

And also see if its possible to take your feet entirely off the pedals
and keep them off for the time it will take to pick a field, lose height,
fly a circuit and land. If this requires holding your legs and/or feet in
the air, can you do that long enough to land the glider without the
effort of doing it being totally distracting?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK