Old August 28th 18, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Infoboxes in tophat and Seeyou

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 12:09:02 PM UTC-4, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le mardi 28 août 2018 04:36:30 UTC+2, MNLou a écritÂ*:
Gents -

Please help me out. Why would I care what my achieved L/D was in my last cruise?

That real estate and air mass is now behind me.

Thanks -

Lou

I use it frequently on final legs to judge the approach (required L/D versus current L/D). If your final leg stretches about 100-130 km with a marginal approach, any information helps.

I watch the predicted arrival altitude, as it changes during the final glide. That implicitly shows whether your actual glide slope is as good as the predicted slope. If the wind estimate is incorrect, you'll see the results. If you fly slower than the speed-to-fly that the arrival altitude is computed for, then the arrival altitude should slowly increase as you glide. Etc.