Old January 8th 05, 04:55 AM
Prime

xyzzy posted the exciting message
:

Tim Long wrote:

Our 140 is coming up on 1600 hrs TBO.

We really hate what a dog it is and would like more power.

I fly warriors in a club and have been toying with the idea of

buying a
140. I don't know if I'd be happy with less plane than I am

flying now,
but for 99% of the flying I do, a 140 would be sufficient, at

least on
paper. Hell, for 90% of the flying I do an Ercoupe or a

Tripacer would
be sufficient, but I'm not willing to go that small and

limited since
the 140 isn't THAT much more expensive to buy.

What do you mean by a dog? Useful load, speed, what? What

kind of TAS
do you get in cruise? I'd be curious to hear this kind of

feedback from
140 drivers, especially if they have also flown Warriors,

160s, or 180s
and can give comparative experience.

It's a dog even compared to a C172. The ceiling sucks and the
climb rate sucks. If you get near gross it doesn't climb worth a
damn. In the desert on a hot summer day we can't get much over
9000', and that doesn't buy a lot when you're trying to get to
OSH or otherwise east of the Rockies. Try taking off from any
runway when the density altitude is 4000' (not that high around
here) or so - you need something like 4000' feet of runway if
you're hot and heavy.

It's a dog in that we want better performance for ceiling and
takeoff distance. While speed and load carrying would be nice,
they are not the biggest issue!

Prime