Old August 13th 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flying with Parachutes

I feel a little exposed when I take a flight review in a 2-33 kwithout a chute. I've been wearing one to fly my single-seat gliders for 50+ years. Does that unease make logical sense? Probably not; I've never needed my chute for anything except a cushion. Normally I'd not fly without it.

But...I've had to work really hard to find a couple that allow me to get into certain cockpits. I'm 6'3". I tried just about every commercial option there was in the U.S. years ago and they vary significantly. Some are the same thickness throughout the pack while others are thin behind the shoulders (which is what I need). Some wrap under the thighs. Some are stiff while others are more flexible and can be shaped around a bulge in the seat back, etc. So if you're on the tall side, I'd hold off until I settled on a specific glider before buying a chute.

We've thrashed the 20-year-life issue endlessly so I won't repeat the arguments for/against here.

Chip Bearden