Old September 15th 20, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default FES underpowered for 18m ship?

Mana,

I would never think about a FES for flying in Fayence.
I you want to escape the "cuvette", just take a higher tow. With a FES, you will eat up all capacity with nothing left for a retrieve (think about needing to motor over the Col d'Etache...).
Internal combustion engines nowadays all rely on the Solo 2350 engine, which is remarably reliable, and with 15 liters of fuel, you will have way more capacity to climb than a FES.

I don't think that a FES is a good choice for the Alpine terrain.

Bert
Ventus cM "TW"

Le mardi 15 septembre 2020 Ă* 12:20:34 UTC+2, Mana a Ă©critÂ*:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 11:45:05 AM UTC+2, Dave Walsh wrote:
A real problem is putting the word "KISS" and "FES" is the same
sentence or indeed "KISS" and "electric propulsion".
There is nothing simple about electric motors powered by LiPo batteries..

The technology of the motor is very mature and much simpler than of a jet or a combustion engine, which has a direct impact on maintenance needs and on reliability. I agree that the batteries do add cost, complexity and fire hazard (until we find a better technology than LiPo).

The FES has way few moving parts than a pylon. If it doesn’t work, you just keep flying the same glider. See Dave’s talk on motor-gliders for a good overview of all that can go wrong with pylons http://www.nadler.com/papers/2018_So...pdated_2 .pdf.