Old December 16th 04, 04:57 AM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Dude" wrote in message

Your salesman moaned because he had a feeling he would end up getting a
complaint from the customer on the cost of the travel ticket which

would
mean more work for him

The problem is that the salesman would promise things he couldn't
necessarily deliver. For instance, he'd promise that the ticket would

cost
no more than $300. This would work if we booked the ticket that very
minute,

So from my perspective, the problem was not so much idiot sales people as

it
was idiot management. If they had done a better job of working the
commissions so that these problems became a money problem to the salesmen,
AND given them some control over the process, then it likely would have

gone
away.

As is so often the case, the GM was former #1 salesguy, and he turned out to
be possibly the single most consistently incompetent businessperson I've
ever worked with. Worse still, by being the GM, he had no one to watch and
keep an eye on the voodoo quotient in his deals. Good at sales does not
imply good at management and certainly not vice versa.

-cwk.