Old January 12th 21, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default First glider Nimbus 2 ?

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 21:34:49 -0800, BG wrote:

I can share an experience in my club that points to the need to control
private pilots with low time flying aircraft they are not ready for.
This person bought a ASW 20 right after their solo endorsement and
nearly killed himself on the flight while we watched in horror. He did
a very low energy skidding turn to final and entered a spin about one
wingspan from the ground. The plane impacted the ground going sideways.
Had he been higher, it would have likely be a fatal accident. He was
banned from the club and never got another tow from us. Who a club tows
is in their control.

Does your club own any benign single seat gliders, e.g. a 1-26, Ka-8 or
Junior that new solo pilots can transition to?

If not, what guidance or rules does your club have to protect early solo
pilots (and tuggies) from the sort of incident you describe? If nobody
pointed out why buying an ASW-20 was a really bad idea for a new solo,
then banning him sounds rather harsh.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org