Old April 5th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

Default Got Pilot Heat?

On Apr 4, 10:36 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
Jeez, if that's better than new, I'd hate to have seen it when it rolled
off the assembly line.

Honestly, I'm sure all of us on the list would be embarrased if
someone took pictures that close of our plane. While we may think our
planes are perfect, everyone has small cracks, etc that can only be
seen up close. The plane in question may be better than new in that it
may be better equipped than when it rolled out of the factory. Even a
really hot model wouldn't want extreme close up photos of her posted.

-Robert

Those Cessna plastic fairings shrink with age and the heat and UV of
the sun, and contract in the cold, and they will crack after a while.
Very difficult to repair, and they'll only crack again anyway.
Expensive from Cessna. Stene Aviation has fiberglass replacements for
most of them, and we've had really good success over the years with
their stuff. Much stronger than the plastic, no heavier (made
thinner), and easily repaired if they do get damaged. One thing: Got
to watch anyplace that moves, like the gear leg at the fuselage; the
fiberglass will cut into the leg's aluminum fairing. Put some felt or
poly chafe tape on the leg under it.
See http://www.steneaviation.com/

Dan