Old December 26th 09, 07:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

Default American Airlines in Jamaica Incident

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:52:22 -0500, John Szalay wrote
(in article ) :

hielan' laddie wrote in
I'd like to know how on _Earth_ the pilot managed to overrun when
using a 9,000 foot plus long runway.

Reports were stating that it was during a torrential rain,

JUST AN OPINION OF COURSE...
I suspect hydroplaning will be the major issue in this case..

There's _serious_ rain in Kingston every year around this time. And the same
news reports which AA was in such a rush to deny had at least two passengers
stating that the aircraft touched down nearly in line with the terminal
building... If you look at the pix 3d1ab3 shows the two taxiways that lead
from the main runway to the terminal. Allegedly the 737 touched down just
beyond the first taxiway. If that's so, then it's a miracle that it didn't go
into the water.

All I can say is that I've lost count of the number of times I've flown into
Norman Manley in aircraft ranging from 747s to DH Twin Otters. Not even the
cowboys who used to fly for Eastern ('The Wings of Man') back in the day
managed to overrun the runway and I swear that some of those boys thought
they were still in the Navy.