Old August 31st 04, 02:03 AM
Mike Rapoport

Default KX155 KX 155A Anybody know the difference?

The KX155 in my "new" airplane (Helio Courier) seems to have bitten the
dust. It looks like an old POS and I am trying to figure out what to do.
What are the functional differences between the KX155, KX165 and the KX155A
and KX165A? The airplane has a Garmin 300XL as #1 and a switching relay to
allow the 300XL or the KX155 to drive the HSI. I am trying to decide what
to do.

My options a

A:
#1 Garmin 430
#2 KX155
Get rid of the "GPS/NAV" switch/annunciator box

B:
Same as A but with 530. Pricey, but I could just buy the tray and
connectors and shuttle the 530 in my MU-2 back and forth until Garmin has
WAAS and then buy a 530A for the MU-2. This has the advantage of presumably
saving the cost of the WAAS upgrade thereby reducing the 530 premium
somewhat.

C:
#1 Currently installed 300XL.
#2 KX 155 or 165 I would prefer the 165 since I can get rid of the converter
box that drives the HSI.
Keep the GPS/NAV switch/annunciator box

The advantage of going with a 430 or 530 is that I have flown them for 800+
hrs and am comfortable with the operating logic. I can't say the same about
the 300X:L.

Cost is an issue. This is a second airplane and I anticipate using it 95%
VFR. I would rather spend the money on floats or skis :-). Since the
airplane may be left unattended in the backcountry for days at a time, I
would also like avionics that are not very attractive to a thief.

What do you think?

Mike
MU-2