Old October 22nd 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default Adiabatic lapse rate

Lapse rate is dependent on humidity. The dry rate is rapid,
the wet rate can be anything, even a temperature rise as the
condensation raises the temperature [makes
thunderstorms-hurricanes], the average lapse rate is just
that, a mathematical average.

"Mitty" wrote in message

| On 10/21/2007 11:44 AM, Everett M. Greene wrote the
following:
| Does the lapse rate equation hold in all cases?
| Don't count on it in the real world. I was once in the
clear at 6,000 feet, 0
| degrees C, and confidently told my wife that Approach
would soon drop us into
| the clouds at 4,000 feet but that we didn't have to worry
about ice because it
| would be +4 degrees. When we got there it was -- ta da --
0 degrees! We
| immediately started picking up some light ice, requested
and got a descent to