Old February 3rd 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Default NK ClearNav Update

Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I received my demo NK ClearNav a few days ago. It is awesome! You can see
the latest reviews he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/nk.htm

That's a most interesting device. It does pretty much what I'd want from
a navigation tool.

There's one fairly important point that's not mentioned by your site or
NK's given that it contains a GPS: What data is available OUT of the
ClearNav during a flight?

I use an SDI C4, which needs the following NMEA sentences: GPRMB, GPRMC,
GPROO and GPWPL. It uses GPRMC to calculate wind speed and direction.
The other three, together with its wind calculation, are used to handle
final glide. I imagine that most other GPS-enabled varios will use the
same information: the LX 160 / 1600 certainly does. This class of vario
will loose a lot of its capability without a GPS data feed.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK