Old November 4th 04, 01:38 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 11/3/04 8:11 AM, in article ,
"Pechs1" wrote:

Thomas- Which does raise the question ogf what might have happened to Tomcat
availability, etc, if it had been redeisgned from the ground up in the early
1990s like the Super Hornet. BRBR

To late. If it was going to become the 'Super Tomcat or Tomcat 21, it needed
happen in the 80s, when $ was everywhere.

The F-14A languished, no new models came out in spite of plans to have a
re-engined F-14B after just a few F-14As.

It could have been a contender but as soon as the $ went to the F-18, the
F-14"E", ala the Strike Eagle, was doomed.

You know, Pechs, you bring out an interesting point. I'm SHOCKED at how
long it has taken to de-couple the cockpits for the Super Hornet--something
that has existed in the Mud Hen for ages (i.e. ever since I was an Intruder
guy).

Same company. Same mission. Technology that has been around for more than
12 or so years. Why wasn't it instantaneously part of the Super Hornet's
(or D-model's for that matter) bag o tricks?

Most of the 2-seaters in existence now are still coupled cockpits.

--Woody