Old November 14th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default NTSB final report on Hendrick crash

Part of being professional is how you handle those
pressures. I don't know why the crew did what they did and
when they suspected they had a problem. But a climb and a
turn away from obstacles is always a good first step in
getting another chance.
Did the crew assume it was simple and skip the approach
briefing, what were they doing with the GPS? How much
experience did the crew have together and how much in THAT
airplane?

The RMI [ADF], DME and LOC should have been setup as primary
and the GPS was not approved for an approach mode and should
not have been programmed for an approach.

Not trying to slam any pilot, trying to understand why
pilots make mistakes so I don't make the same kind of error.

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2006/AAB0601.pdf

| One potential "External Pressure" on this flight that many
people may not be
| aware of is that Ricky Henderson (the team owner's son who
died on that
| flight) was slated to work as a spotter for one of the
Hendrick cars. By
| rule, you can not grid your car if your spotter is not in
position on the
| roof of the grandstand.
|
| IIRC, the Cup race that day had a 1pm Green Flag so that
suggests to me they
| were running late. Even with a helo standing by at MTV to
ferry everyone
| from the airport to the track, they'd have been cutting it
close.

| Doesn't excuse the way in which the crew botched the
approach, but it might
| (IMO) suggest perhaps some "Get There-itis."
|
| Just $0.02 worth from someone who works on the NASCAR
tour.