Old February 18th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Seaplane Landing Direction ?

On Feb 17, 2:55 pm, "Bob Gardner" wrote:
If you mean a floatplane, no one is going to land one in open water if he
expects to see home again. Flying boats/hulls, like the SA-16 Albatross, try
to land on the back of a swell and take off parallel to the swells. Not for
amateurs, that's for sure.

Bob Gardner

"Robert11" wrote in message

news
Hi,

Probably a silly questio, but I was wondering about how seaplanes land in
sea with waves running fairly close together ?

e.g., does the pilot try to put down parallel to the wave motion (this
would
be along the trough of the wave) or does he
attempt to go perpendicular to the trough on landing ?

My "guess" is that the second is correct, as this would be a landing into
the wind.

But, this would possibly be analogous to the term "pitch-poling" used for
sailboats
if they are flipped fore and aft by heading directly into a breaking wave.

Any explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
bob

Similar to the PBY 5 catalina? Just curious as I'm wondering what
the flight conditions would be like in war time...would the envelope
be pushed a bit?