Old September 25th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How to be a Task-setter / CD

On Sep 25, 4:57*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
OK, I may be digging my own grave with this one (I'm anticipating a
dogpile of worn-out contest volunteers)...

But I have to ask: *Are there any published books or articles on how
to be a CD or how to learn to be a task-setter? *Is it purely an
"apprenticeship" method of learning, or are there materials out there
to learn from?

I have many more thoughts about the other topics I've recently started
on RAS, but my curiosity is being piqued (especially with regards to a
"best of" local/casual race series). *Back when I was doing Autocross
racing, I became very involved in race-course design and setup. *I've
become one of my local club's main weather forecasters, and the
thought of using that knowledge to set tasks for competitive flying
intrigues me. *I need to compete a bit with my sailplane before I try
to actually organize something - but I love to "study up" in advance
of any new challenge. *If I wanted to start figuring out how to set
tasks and do that jazz in 2009 or 2010, where would I start or what
could I study now?

Of course, in autocrossing you can design the course and still
participate in the event - I don't know how it is with Sailplane
races...

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks for all the info and feeback so far, folks!

--Noel

Look on the SRA site for the SRA guide to competition flying. A lot
about how to fly the contest.
Look at appendix A of the competition rules for guidelines and
clarifications related to rules, administration, and tasking.
UH