Old March 13th 05, 02:44 AM
Juan Jimenez

"Jim Rosinski" wrote in message
ups.com...

Having been raised and currently living on a Caribbean island, I can confirm
you're absolutely right about the corrosion problem. You have to stay on top
of the issue constantly and be _very_ generous with the Corrosion-X (which I
even use on my cars). It can be done, but do you want to have to deal with
the hassle?

The fellow I talked with there had good information
and thought it would cost around $8K to pack up my 172, ship it from
the west coast to Maui, and reassemble it.

It would probably be cheaper to put a temporary ferry tank and pay a pro
ferry pilot to fly it out there for you. You would then only have to ship
the seats.

Tiedowns are reasonable, around $35/mo. Hangar space is apparently
unobtainable, with a waiting list long enough to put me in retirement
before becoming available.

Same here in Puerto Rico. If I had to pay for hangar space for my tiny BD-5J
it would cost anywhere from $600/$1500 for month at the closest airport to
my house, TJIG. I'm lucky that there is plenty of demand for my computer
skills and I can barter.

Renting a 172 from Maui Aviators is around $125/hr. Not bad considering
the corrosion and overall cost of living on Maui.

That's pretty high. Even in PR it's not that high. North Shore Aviation here
has immaculate 172's (and I do mean *immaculate*) for rent at $100/hr wet.

One kind of off-the-wall idea I had short of selling the plane is
pickling it, and paying the $135/mo to hangar it while I decide what to
do with it. The advantage here is if Maui doesn't work out I can come
back and still have my baby that I spent so much time and money getting
configured the way I like it.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

And if you're looking to buy a great 172 with lots of goodies attached
(powerflow exhaust, interia reel harnesses, good Century IIB autopilot,
160 hp O320-D2G with 1850 SFNE, IFR, strobes) have a look at
www.burningserver.net/rosinski/airplane It's likely to be on the
market soon.

It has an autopilot? Geez, that sure would make a ferry flight much easier.

Juan