Old May 3rd 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Nevada governor to bill Fossett widow for search expenses

"Ron Lee" wrote

Get a 406 MHz PLB with integrated GPS. Should work worldwide.

The only problem I see with that, is if you crash or have a midair (or something
else totally unexpected) and it fails to go off, or gets destroyed, or the
antenna gets ripped off (or one of the other dozen things that keep it from
going off) nobody is going to have any idea where to start looking.

If you have the spot finder, and have someone that can access the tracking
function, SAR will have a place to start looking, even if it (or you) are unable
to transmit with an ELT or the spot finder.

Add to that all of the things that the spot can do with it's messaging
functions, and you have a unit that can do lots of things that an ELT can never
do.

It seems like the spot finder can be a good supplement for communications while
traveling, when a cell phone can't work.

All I'm saying is that for some people, this seems like a remarkable gizzmo.
YMMV.

Unless, of course, you happen to be in South Africa. g
--
Jim in NC