Old August 24th 04, 12:33 AM
BTIZ

want to hear about the very experienced pilot.. who in his first season with
his NEW ASW27B, found a thermal on downwind, thought he had it hooked.. only
to get left low and dry and forced into a downwind landing.. and totaled it
when it ground looped..

that extra tow back to that "found thermal" is cheap insurance

Anyone found "thremaling out" from 300ft in the traffic pattern would not be
asked to return. How many pilots did he block in the pattern while he
climbed above pattern altitude.

BT

"Paul M. Cordell" wrote in message
How Low to Spin??

I was proudly shown a IGC file this weekend. This file show the aero tow
thru a thermal and a release into sink. Our proud pilot was unable to
find the thermal and started a downwind leg for a landing. As he turned
base leg, he flew into a 2-5 kt thermal. Instead of completing the
pattern and landing, he turned and climbed in this thermal. The IGC file
showed that his altitude at the time of encountering lift was 300 ft. I
asked him 1 question as he displayed this flight on See You. How Low do
you want to spin?

His response scared me silly&&..My glider does not spin and there was no
wind.

He then continued to display the same flight where he bragged of
spending a considerable amount of time in the mountains within 500 feet
of the terrain. I am doubtful as to his ability to reach a landable area
during this portion of the flight.

This pilot is in his first year of private ownership, cross county
soaring and may have almost 200 hours of total time. He has embraced
soaring completely. I left the gliderport feeling that my suggestions as
to his safety practices were just hollow words. I know that he reads RAS
and would hope that the response to this post may give him some food for
thought.