Old October 6th 03, 08:14 AM
Guy Alcala

John Freck wrote:

Why did Britain win the BoB?

Let us imagine that we are going to be playing a complex wargame
assigned to us some 3rd or 4th year military science course. There
are 20 classmates. Each will have to write a report from either
GErmany's or Britain's perspective, and the grade will determine your
standing on your team when the game is played.
The Battle of the Atlantic is open to play too. In addition, any
commentary on any matter could boost your grade. Such as commenting
on mass communications then and now, or anything that seems intersting
and anytime relevant to military studies.

The setting is July 1st, 1940. What must the Axis do better?

Intel and analysis. Pound the CH and CHL radar stations from, say,
Bawdsey around to Ventnor, or at least Dover to Ventnor (see
Erprobungsgruppe 210 on 12 August); then, pound them some more and
continue to do so throughout. Hit Supermarine and Hawker earlier. Loose
escort. Ignore London.

In the 'maybe they could have done this if they'd put more emphasis on it'
class, speed up drop tank development and fitting (Me-109E-7). Improve
bomber defensive armament and armor.

And what must the Allies do better?

Adopt finger four instead of vic or trail. Better ASR, and (if possible)
rescue floats and provision of single-man dinghies would help with pilot
attrition. Abandon the east coast convoys for the time being. Better
camouflage and better protected dispersals on the fighter bases.
Transition the Defiant pilots to single-seat fighters, use them as
replacements or to increase fighter squadron pilot complements if
Hurricanes or Spits aren't available to re-form the squadrons on them.
Ideally an earlier debugging of the cannon would be nice, but I assume
you're limiting this to those things that were changeable in the
historical timeframe.

To me it looks like Germany can improve a lot, and Britain only a
little bit. It is easy for the Axis team to create a shopping list of
things to do better, or more, or less, but what can be put on the
Allies list?

See above.

Guy