Old March 23rd 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Default flying car (again)

In article
,
wrote:

Still, I won't predict any kind of success for it. Tools that are
designed to do multiple jobs
hardly ever do any job well.

Minimal performance in both roles and a target price of $200k, somehow
I expect the
market to be rather limited. I'd be amazed if they ever turn a profit
or even manage to
stay in business beyond making a handful of prototypes while burning
through all their
investors' money.

So says my crystal ball.

Yep, I agree. At that price, you can buy a better airplane, a better
car, *and* have enough money left over to rent better cars at your
destination airport for years and years.

I really don't understand the appeal of these "flying cars". A *real*
flying car, which can be flown by the average joe, and which can take
off and land in a typical driveway, now THAT would be something. But
this kind of hybrid car+airplane which you can drive on roads to an
airport, reconfigure, take off, land at another airport, reconfigure,
and drive away, I just don't get it. It's not *that* difficult to move
your stuff from one vehicle to another at the airport, and it certainly
saves no money to combine them.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth