Old April 10th 16, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
firsys

Default AOA indicator

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 2:39:56 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was just reading about the Aspen suite of avionics for GA
http://www.flyingmag.com/way-to-aoa?...n=Aspen-FB-Ads.
Was wondering if Air-Avionics Butterfly, LX 90XX or similar modern glide computers would be capable of such algorithms to have a working AOA?

At the epoch of the SSA AoA indicator, I did some work on another approach.
It consisted of a microphone, amp., and a variable Hi/low pass filter
to select airflow noise in a limited band. It was sucessfull in
showing approach to the stall in a Puchaz by a rise in the
low frequency flow detachment near the TE. I concluded that it was insufficiently robust to be generally usefull.

John f