Old August 16th 16, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bryan Searle[_2_]

Default Glider EFIS anyone?

I am working on a low-cost EFIS system for gliders! As it will be
non-approved initially it will be suitable for UL/Experimental gliders, but
could be used as advisory instrumentation for certified gliders. It uses
low-cost off-the-shelf components for all the sensors and a high brightness
colour LCD. I am thinking of a 'kit' type product, as the main component is
the dedicated software. Two identical units are used, one for the primary
instruments and another for an innovative graphical variometer. Either unit
may be switched for primary or vario function providing fail-safe in the
event of power failure, but each unit will also contain a battery for
3rd/4th level fail-safe. The moving-map or tactical display would be a
completely separate unit, for which there are many alternatives. A
Raspberry Pi with a high brightness screen would be ideal. This makes for a
much more cost effective and equally capable solution than the very
expensive and complex 'one-box' variometer/navigation units on offer. So
the panel will consist of just 3 LCDs, that's it, no steam gauges - PM me.

At 18:56 15 August 2016, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
The LX 9070 with S-80 or s-1010 is effectively an EFIS. The s-80 with
disp=
lay digital A/S and Alt, and so will the LX9070. The LX9070 also can be
co=
nfigured with tape display for A/S, Alt, and vario. Add a Butterfly
display=
and you now have three glass instruments that give you all the flight
data=
you need and more.

What I want is a true HUD with vario, A/S and traffic.

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 at 10:37:47 AM UTC-8,

wrote:
Looking at the options for instrumentation for new Light Sport

Aircraft,
=
I find most manufacturers to offer a complete glass panel for flight
instru=
ments, engine controls, communications and of course navigation. There

is
=
nothing round with a pointer to be found and everything requires

electrons
=
to work. Factory-made gliders require of course to be equipped with
certif=
ied instruments but I wonder if anybody in our small niche of aircraft
inst=
rument design is working on a one-panel box that shows the usual flight
inf=
ormation. Given the progress in that area, it is certainly technically
fea=
sible.
We would have to get used to vertical tapes for speed and altitude but

ev=
erything could be over-laid a navigation screen with the usual soaring
comp=
uter information in dedicated boxes. This would clean up our busy panels
a=
nd we could rid ourselves of the ugly external boxes that stick out from
th=
e panel or the canopy frame. I=E2=80=99d be interested in such a panel
and=
would think in the long run this could well be marketed to the existing
gl=
ider fleet, especially in the Experimental category. So who might be
worki=
ng on a Glider-EFIS?