Old March 14th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default motorgliders as towplanes

Agreed. My money is on the towplane wake.

I put my monies on the elevator authority/AoA ratio. We fly above
the wing wake (USA...) in most cases, in relatively clean air, but
sometimes in the clean air below it. Box the wake, it will tell you
where it is and where it isn't...

But typically glider's noses, on tow, are unnaturally high (and thus
AoA is higher...) for a given airspeed, in addition to being more
forcefully held there, both effects of course due to the rope's
pull. The elevator is the same size whether on tow or free flight
though, so the authority it can exert against the countering forces is
proportionately lower than in free flight...

The fix is the same regardless of why though- more speed... please!
(wings rocking in vain...)

-Paul