Old August 21st 11, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PK

Default SAFETY ALERT

On Aug 21, 11:04*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I regularly get safety alerts (bulletins, notices) from the FAA and
AOPA, but I never get one from the SSA. I went digging to see if the
SSA had a similar program. I went to SSA home page, then to SSA
Partners..........Hmm, safety isn't a primary concern of the SSA and
is relegated to a soaring partner?
Then to Soaring Safety Foundation, then to Accident Prevention, then
to Advisory Notices and I actually found one! Yep on 5/23/05 the SSF
pumped out a Notice about props on solo engines.

We have just had 5 fatal accidents within the last 45 days and not a
peep out of the SSA or the 'partner' SSF.
I submit the following that might have been published (but wasn't):

1 July, 2011 * Glider crashes after initiating practice rope preak at
200 feet!
* * * * * * * * * * * 1 dead, 1 severly injured
SSA recommends practice rope breaks not be done below 500 feet and
only after thoroughly briefing before the flight. Briefing to include
altitude at which rope break will be initiated and pilots intended
actions.
All are reminded that a simple 180 degree turn will place the glider
parallel to, but not ovet the departure runway. Recommend a 90 / 270
when returning to departure runway (altitude permitting).

15 July, 2011 * *Glider spoilers open after takeoff, tow pilot gave
rudder-wag (check spoilers) which was misunderstood. Glider crashed
into trees.
* * * * * * * * * * * *1 dead, *1 seriously injured
This accident could have been prevented with a simple call from the
tow pilot to "close your spoilers", had radios been required by the
club or FBO.
SSA recommends all gliders and tow planes be equipped with radios and
a com-check be performed before all takeoffs. The com-check will
insure both radios are on, tuned to the same frequency, volume up,
squelch set and battery charged.

8 July, 2011 * * Off field landing accident (motor glider)
* * * * * * * * * * * *1 dead
SSA recommends that all gliders keep a suitable landing spot within
gliding distance at all times and engine starts not be attempted below
1500 agl.

JJ Sinclair
(for the SSA that could be)

JJ wrote;"I went digging to see if the
SSA had a similar program. I went to SSA home page, then to SSA
Partners..........Hmm, safety isn't a primary concern of the SSA and
is relegated to a soaring partner?
Then to Soaring Safety Foundation, then to Accident Prevention, then
to Advisory Notices and I actually found one! Yep on 5/23/05 the SSF
pumped out a Notice about props on solo engines."

It is AMAZING! So what are these folks doing at the Soaring Safety
Foundation anyway???....