Old August 11th 03, 09:55 PM
Kirk Stant

Eric Greenwell wrote Not true.
The sports class uses the MAT:

10.3.2.2 ? Modified Assigned Task (MAT) - Speed over a course of one
or more turnpoints, with a finish at the contest site.

I stand corrected. A well designed MAT, with more than one turnpoint,
can be a respectable race task when trying to fit different
performance gliders in the same task.

However, as you mention, when the CD only assigns one (or none?!)
turnpoints, the whole exercise becomes a joke.

TATs are possible, but if you have a range of gliders from 1-26s to
Nimbus 3s competing, it could be a real challenge to make a good task.
Good luck.

Still not my cup of tea (or preferably, bottle of ice-cold post-flight
beer).

I understand the goal of the sports class races, but by not breaking
the field into rough performance classes (low and high is all that is
really needed), everyone is probably penalized, or someone is going to
be have an advantage.

Europe's Club class is another approach (Limited to roughly equivalent
performance, handicapped, no new ships allowed). The ASA's A, B, and
C classes of tasks is another (All ships handicapped; A class is
allowed water. B class is dry with a shorter task, C class has even
shorter task for 1-26s, 1-23, Dusters, PW-5s etc.)

As has been brought up in another post, what is the "mission
statement" of the Sports class? Is it training for the
Std/15m/18m/Open classes? Or is it a 'fun race get-together'? Both
are OK, but it would really drive how the races are setup. My feeling
now is that it is the latter.

Kirk
66