Old August 29th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Copeland[_1_]

Default CNN uses "special software" for KLEX simulation: Microsoft Flight Simulator

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:26:40 +0200, Stefan wrote:

Mxsmanic schrieb:

This "special software" bears an uncanny resemblance to the Microsoft
Flight Simulator that I played with last night. In fact, I tried the
very same thing on my PC last night that CNN is now using in its
highly scientific demonstration today. I didn't mention my experiment
to anyone because I figured people would criticize me for using MSFS,
but apparently CNN has no such qualms.

Oh, come on, they wanted to avoid to speak out the brand name, so what
should they have said? After all, a flight sim *is* a special software.
What's far more annoying is that they use this crappy Windows Media
Player for their videos instead of an open codec.

Well, while MSFS is indeed a flight simulator, its flight models are not
very realistic. They have a couple of different flight models which each
plane simply tweaks. Now, if they had used X-plane (which has a
certified variant) or an actual 3-axis sim, then I'd be quiet. Until
then, unless they are using it to simply "roll" an aircraft down the
runway...it's more trash and fear mongering from CNN.

Stefan

Greg