Old February 16th 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
CWO4 Dave Mann

Default From CFB Baggotville, Quebec: IMG_0964mod001.jpg (1/1)

Andrew Chaplin wrote:
"Jacques & Laurie" wrote in message
. ..
Xcuse me! . . .

Did you also know that CFB Bagotville was also referred to as "BAG Town"? I
have come to know it as such because every service man that I knew in Canada
called it as such. Endearing term, if you wish . . .

As far as I was concerned, I served with the "Air Force" in Canada
(1972-1977) even though WE all wore GREEN. Remember those days?

Jacques
(former corporal, CANADIAN AIR FORCE)

I first joined a unit that is widely known in Ottawa and The Royal Regiment of
Canadian Artillery as the "Bytown Gunners," but widespread usage does not in
any way make the name official.

It is fine to use colloquialisms like "Air Force" in places where they will
not confuse. You are, however, posting to an international forum where not
everyone is au fait with the National Defence Re-organization Act, 1967, its
disestablishment of the navy, army and air force as services in Canada, and
its establishment of the single service with "forces" (regular, reserve and
special) as the basis for managing personnel establishments.

Ah yes, I remember Bag Town ... when I was with the 10th Mountain
Division (ages ago), we went on maneuvers with some Canadian Army unit
(can't recall but believe they were also mountain, snow troops). They
ran us into the freeking ground on cross country ski exercises. They
all must have been born on skis.

Great bunch of guys, however and the NCO club at Bag Town Base was one
rocking joint just like the one in Baden Baden, GE ...

Oh Canada!

Cheers,
Dave