Old June 30th 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mike Ash

Default Why don't more Young Eagles become pilots?

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

A continuation rate of 0.26%--not very encouraging. An interesting article:

http://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/flyin...g-eagles-becom
e-pilots

As a teen student who gave up on lessons before getting my rating (and
took up gliders about 10 years later, with great success), it seems to
me that targeting teenagers is mostly not a good move.

I don't claim to be representative, but here's my abbreviated story.

I took my intro ride when I was 11 or 12. Continued lessons on a mostly
regular but somewhat infrequent (generally once a month) basis. Soloed
at 16, and then not long after I quit.

Looking back, I think the main reason I quit was that it was an
incredible amount of responsibility that I wasn't really ready for at
the time, and the rewards just weren't enough. This produced a lot of
anxiety. I remember that I really liked flying, but on my way to each
lesson I'd get anxious and worried and partially hope that the weather
would be too poor to fly.

When I was about 13 we moved, and the nearest place to get instruction
was a class D airport. Like a lot of teenagers, I didn't like public
speaking and thus had a lot of trouble with the radio. Having to
interact with the tower didn't help matters.

And then there was the money. While we could afford it, it was a lot of
money, and the expense kept me from being able to fly more frequently.

Compensating for all of this... well, I could fly. That was neat! But
not a huge practical value. Driving a car involved responsibility and
expense too (although less of each), but also came with tremendous
rewards in terms of being able to go to stores, restaurants, movie
theaters, friends' houses, etc. Flying, I could... travel places where I
could also drive.

Fast forward about ten years and I check out glider flying. After living
as an independent adult for a decade, the responsibility factor was no
big deal. Radio anxiety was gone. Money was not even remotely a problem.
And I had a lot more time on my hands, so the appeal was greater, and
the ability to take more intensive instruction was greater. Furthermore,
I was Just Another Guy in a great group of guys in my club with whom I
get along great, instead of being the Young Kid in a FBO with a few
strange folk. The sense of community helped a lot.

I think that giving rids to teens is a great idea, BUT you shouldn't
expect a high continuation rate at all. Your goal should be to plant a
seed which can sprout years later, when that teen has turned into an
independent adult with means and time and is starting to look into
expanding their activities.

Worked for me, anyway....

--
Mike Ash