Old May 24th 17, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Romeo Zulu

Default I'm Looking for a new location SW USA?

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 10:26:45 AM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

Somebody mentioned Durango and, while I would love to have an operation in Durango, there is no suitable airport in Durango. Animas Airpark (OOC)has a 50' runway with elevated runway lights. Durango LaPlata (DRO)has 13 to 15 scheduled flights coming and going each day. The first time a towing operation held up an RJ they would throw you out. You should have heard the stink a proposed skydiving operation caused. It was instantly crushed.

Moab (CNY) would be an excellent choice. They have a nice runway that's aligned with the prevailing winds. I also bet that they have 100 times the tourist traffic that Nephi has. You could sell a lot of rides. They are very recreation oriented at the airport with active skydiving operations.

Sign me

Self Launching in Durango