View Single Post
Old August 3rd 18, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default U.S. Standard Class Nationals - Mike Westbrook leading DAY3 - FriAug 3rd no fly day

We took a vote and decided it wasn't worth watering and gridding unless the forecast was for clouds and at least 6 kts. You don't come to Texas to fly in East Coast conditions.

Seriously, most pilots have flown close to 5 hrs a day for 4 out of the last 6 days in 100+ F weather. With Sat-Sun forecast to be even better--and at least as hot--the prospect of using one of those days as a rest day was unappealing. But the idea of flying straight thru for 7 of 8 days, including 6 in a row, seemed aggressive from a safety perspective. Or at least I believe that was the thought process. A lot of us first said "let's just keep flying" but I didn't hear anyone complaining last night.

It's been a while for me since we had to deal with the prospect of too many good soaring days at a contest. Haha. Despite not flying my best, this has already been worth the drive from New Jersey and the contest isn't even half over. Great weather, facility at TSA, organization, and task calling. And, yes, the Standard Class is alive and well here!

Chip Bearden