Old August 3rd 18, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default U.S. Standard Class Nationals - Mike Westbrook leading DAY3 - FriAug 3rd no fly day

On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 9:37:52 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Texas weather can be brutal with high heat and humidity.
Which produce wonderful soaring conditions with big puffy CU's without the teeth jarring turbulence of the Western mountains.

Can be, but last I checked, the dewpoint at Midlothian was 59 degrees F. Not exactly humid by any but desert rat standards. It is, however, getting quite hot in the afternoons. Maybe poor choice of words as to why today is selected as the Rest Day?

Maybe the more appropriate description would have been that a Rest Day is required, and that with the forecast, this was seen as the best day to call a Rest Day. Leave out the "blue" part. Because it doesn't look to me like it is. GOES 16 seems to be showing little white dots popping in the area.

You hate to lose a really good day to a rest day if you have flown on crappy days and now need to work your Rest Day in. Sounds like they are believing the forecast, and are willing to gamble that it is correct and have decided to rest early, rather than rest on what is forecast to be a really good day. Let's hope their gamble doesn't bite them in the backside.

Steve Leoanrd