Old April 6th 16, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

Default Aerotow towrope instructions

The methods I have seen across 4 clubs now have been mostly dependant on how the towplanes are operating (Landing vs dropping the rope on pavement vs turf). The methods i have seen to date a

1) Using Solid braided poly rope, a single overhand knot followed by a 1-foot back-splice that goes through the tost ring. Tennis balls with slits cut in them are then threaded over the knot and the first part of the Tost connecting ring. The whole section is then wrapped in duct tape, which is added to regularly on the flight line when it is looking worn down. This is done at the Air Force Academy, where the tows are landing and taxiing on pavement with the ropes attached.

2) Using Hallow-core poly rope, run the end through the tost ring assembly, then thread back inside the main line for 6" or so, then outside for an inch or so, then feed whatever is remaining back into the main line. This seems to be the simplest and fastest method I have seen of making ropes.

3) Using Solid core poly rope, a simple back-splice of 8-10" and tying a knot after the back-splice for your "weak link" capability. This club also used different weak links for schweitzer links or for the lighter ships (1-26 and sparrowhawk).

Chris