Old October 26th 20, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

Default The Apology

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 1:32:12 PM UTC-4, xcnick wrote:
If you want to see more of the old pictures and read stories which start: “There I was, thought I was going to die.” I recommend the book: Naomi the Aviatrix. https://www.amazon.com/Naomi-Aviatri.../dp/1453883851

Her diary covers parachuting in Sir Alan Cobham's Air Circus, soaring prewar England and Germany, and ferrying warbirds around barrage balloons with no radio in English weather.

Sexism is not mentioned much in her diary of 1935 to 1945. However when put in contrast to the feminist she became in the 1950's and on, it speaks volumes to the fact sexism became harder to endure.

Naomi and Rosy the Riveter found themselves out of work because of sentiments suggested in the advertisements of the time. The 1950's represents an enormous setback for women.

In later life Naomi felt equal pay the most important cause. Imagine going to work and accepting your co-worker makes more money because of his or her genitalia.

However, during the war, when she became the first woman on the planet to receive equal pay, she thought other's were more important.

Monday, 24 May 1943. Saw in the papers that as from the 1st of next month women pilots are to get the same pay as the men. Hurray! Sent Mum and Kitty 5 pounds each on the strength of it, but postdated as I won’t have the money till June 1st. Naturally I am pleased to be getting more pay, but I would be still more pleased if instead of paying us more, they were to bring single men down to our level and give the balance to married men with families according to the number of their children.

It is still legal to pay women less. I tried, but HR is run by women. My life was hell for years after that.

Amazon has the book at only five bucks. They screwed me again. All proceeds go to a bald old man with nothing to show for his life except milk crates full of soaring magazines.

Exactly I pointed out earlier in this thread that women have been flying since the beginning. Pioneering balloon flying and parachute jumps(from balloons and later airplanes) were made by women there is female aviation history going back hundreds of years. So if the complaint is that a circa 1950's ad "... brought back memories of days when women were supposed to be worshipping pilots instead of being pilots." That is patently false, plenty of female flyers since the beginning of flying, and no their history isn't a secret, the outrage is wrong and ridiculous.