Old April 6th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Default How much longer?

John,

I am interested in learning what the total cost of ownership is in
Germany/Europe for a single engine GA airplane.

All cost in USD, estimates for, say, an IFR-equipped mid-80s PA28 Archer or
a TB-10 Tobago with a Garmin 430 and an S-TEC 50 flown by a group of 5
pilots.

Insurance

6000 to 7000

Maintenance+Annual+prop reserve (6 years)+database updates: 3400

Hangarage (can be much higher in places, especially at big city airports

with IFR approaches - and obviously cheaper with outside parking):
3900

Variable operating costs per hour:

Fuel: 75 (we lower that by flying to Denmark as much as we can, where Avgas
is much cheaper)
50 and 100 hour checks, engine reserve, paint reserve, reserve: 87

Taxes and fees

Each landing is at least 10 dollars (at homebase in Germany), up to 150 and
more at large airports.

Cost of certificates and registrations
any and all other costs that add up annually

Included in the above

With about 150 hours flown per year, that ends up being about 260 bucks per
hour excluding landing fees and capital costs for buying the plane (no
loans or anything on it). That would be considered normal to low for a
"youngish" IFR-equipped aircraft here. If you want to rent it, add at least
50 bucks. Non-IFR can be cheaper since the annual required check of each
radio is 150 USD alone per radio, for example.

Normal rental fees for your average beat-up C172N or P are 220 to 260 USD.
Clubs are cheaper. A 172S with a G1000 at our home base rents for (are you
sitting down?) 380 USD.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)