Old May 10th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

Bob Noel wrote:
If you don't understand RAIM, then why bother asking about safety?

I didn't say I didn't understand RAIM. I just don't care. I am not
convinced that it is necessary for enroute navigation that can be
"safely" accomplished with 30-year old VOR receivers.

My question is how is using a handheld GPS while in radar contact
unsafe? Or more to the point, how is it less safe than using a
combination of radar vectors and VORs? Is "fly heading 320, direct XYZ
VOR when able" any safer?

Sure a panel-mount TSOed IFR approved GPS is supposed to tell you when
its got an inconsistent solution of your position, and therefore it is
more reliable than a handheld, but we're not comparing panel mounts
with handhelds. We're comparing ADF/VOR navigation with handheld GPS.

Peter