Old December 16th 04, 11:40 PM
Bill Daniels

"John Giddy" wrote in message
.. .
I started to write that I was dubious about the wing pins working their

way
out since they would be locked in place by shear loads. Then I thought
about it more.

For those gliders where the removable pins merely hold the wings against
sliding out of the fuselage and the spar end spigot pins take the actual
bending loads, there is no shear load on the removable pins. They could
indeed work their way out.

My Nimbus uses a single 50mm diameter pin that does take shear loads so

it's
hard to see it working out. However, I'll safety it anyway.

Bill Daniels

Bill, I hope that your grammar is confusing. I read your last sentence
to indicate that you do not currently safety the main pin, but will do
so in future. I hope I am wrong !!!

You are right. I've always safetied the main pin on the logic that since
there's a bracket the designer must have thought it necessary. Not
something that calls for experimentation.

Bill Daniels