Old April 7th 17, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 🇺🇸 Orlando

I certainly can't speak for Seminole but I wonder if that, for a well-establish event like the Seniors, some--maybe even much--of that "lost"revenue is actually pushed to the week(s) before or after the contest by guests who are already aware or are advised about the potential conflict ahead of time..

Walk-in traffic would be affected--especially if operations close for an entire contest day. But on the other hand, such traffic might increase because of the publicity of the event. I also wonder how many pilots arrive a week early for the contest to practice and/or schedule trips at other times who wouldn't otherwise even know much about Seminole.

Taking a more comprehensive, long-term view, I suspect it's a more complex and less zero-sum game than has been described.

Chip Bearden