Old April 9th 17, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Default FAI Sailplane Grand Prix USA 🇺🇸 Orlando

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 5:59:17 PM UTC-7, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 3:36:46 AM UTC+3, wrote:
I'll jump in as one of the organizers for the Nephi events every year:

We have pushed hard to maximize the 65 spots allowed by insurance. If insurance allowed us to have 70 spots, at Nephi we would probably have 70 spots

What makes "insurance" decide that 65 is the right number

Bruce,
SSA (Soaring Society of America) states in the competition rules that there is a maximum of 65 gliders per event. While the Nephi gathering is not a "competition", Bruno (CM) uses the SSA to get insurance and therefore has to abide by their rules. I'm sure he has looked into private insurance and I'm guessing that cost was prohibitive.