Old October 16th 03, 03:23 AM
Darrel Toepfer

"Kyler Laird" wrote:

I'm interested in knowing how important the availability of WiFi
access to the Internet is when pilots choose an FBO. Is it enough of
a benefit to really affect your choice, or is it just one more thing
that is nice to have.

I'd be happy to pay a couple cents per gallon more for fuel (~$20) to
support an FBO providing good WiFi access on cross-country trips.

I already plan cross-country routes based on where I can get GPRS.

If you were trying to convince your favorite FBO to install WiFi, what
arguments would you make?

He needs it anyway. Give the maintenance guys laptops so they don't
have to go back and forth when they're working on planes. Credit card
transactions and faxes can also go over IP, so you might as well get
decent IP anyway. A wireless access point is a tiny extra cost.

Just added it at 3R7, they are debating whether or not to allow free WWW
access. Installation was funded by a private concerns...

I already provide signal on the entire runway length at 4R7, adding a free
WWW hotspot at the FBO in the near future, everything but port 80 will be
blocked...