Old October 23rd 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

Default ASH 26E VS DG 808C

I don't know about the '26 cockpit, but I have experience in the '20 and
'27. They are both quite comfortable for me, at 5'-10" and 200#. My DG800B
seems slightly narrower, but is wider than a LS-6. The DG forces a slightly
knock-kneed position, because of the wider pedestal. Ergonomics and finish
seem about equal.
I wish DG would approve some really good fuel hoses---I have just spent the
last 4 months trying to get the engine to develop full power. Finally, an
engine bay fuel hose gave up the secret, by starting to leak! Replaced it
and, viola, full power again! It spent 6 wk living with an A&P (approved)
mechanic until it was found.
The prop brake requires some attention to make sure it produces the needed
friction. Ordinarily, engine retraction is as simple as can be.
Handling is really nice---like a E series Mercedes Benz. No, it is not a
Porsche, but I'll bet the '26 isn't either.

--
Hartley Falbaum

wrote in message
oups.com...
So we have heard form two ASH 26 owners. Any DG 800-808 owners want to
opine? I have heard the build quality is better on the ASH than the
DG, how so?

It seems to me that Western flyers would want the extra wing loading in
the summer. How do the cockpits compare between the DG and ASH? What
about sealing from the factory?

Allison

On Oct 22, 9:04 am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Roger wrote:
What about the ablity with the 808 C comp to now fly at 10.4 Lbs verus
the 26's max wing loading of 9.2 Lbs,For most of my flying, the 8.2 lbs
my ASH 26 E flies at is just about

right. I often take off early, so even the 9.2 lbs I could go to isn't
useful, and most flights seem to include a slow part where I might dump
the ballast anyway. Also, I'm too lazy to bother putting in water for
the slight advantage it might give, except at contests or speed record
attempts.

A pilot flying the eastern ridges might prefer the extra lb of wing
or flew only in the heart of the day, and didn't mind putting the
ballast in.

the stearable tail wheelThe ASH 26 E has an excellent steerable
tailwheel for hard/firm

surfaces. For with _very_ soft fields, I suggest using the
interchangeable fixed pneumatic wheel or using the tail dolly to move it
into position.

and the
ability to fill the gas tank from a truck or gas pump?I've always found
it convenient to fill from a 5 gallon gas can I carry

in the glider (as do most DG owners) using the supplied electric pump
(this can carried or mounted permanently in the glider). I've never
wanted to move the glider to a pump or have a truck come to it. If you
need to fuel the glider at an airport where a can is not available, you
can easily carry a suitable container. In 12 seasons and 500 flights,
I've never been in this situation.

I too think the
26 is "prettier". Does the large canopy of the DG cause relection and
leak when it shrinks do the the cold from altitude?

On Oct 21, 7:05 pm, "bumper" wrote:
I did a lot of comparing and spent another 2 hours going back and
forth
between the 26E and the 808B. The comparing included talking to people
who
worked on both these gliders, including Tom Stowers and Larry
Mansberger (of
composite fame).

I chose the 26E.

Subsequent to this, about 4 years ago, I've had much more experience
and had
the chance to really "go over" my glider, and look at the competition
too.
Even with the "C" version now available, I'd make the same decision
again.

Of course, it's to be expected that an owner will tend to favor the
machine
he has invested in - - I guess. The 26 is not perfect, but it's the
very
best 18 meter self-launch available, both mechanically, and
esthetically
too.

bumper

wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

I know the comparison of ASH 26 VS DG 800's has been done, but now
that
DG has come out with a DG 808C I was wondering what self launching
guys
think? The new 808C allows wing loading of up to 10.2 Lbs compared
9.2 for the ASH 26? The new DG also has NOAH exit assist and stall
warning plus automated engine extraction and stowage. If you were in
the market today for a self launch which one would you choose? Plus
these designs are getting near the end of their life span, what would
you like to see in the next self launch glider?--

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation
websitewww.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org