Old August 11th 14, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default US Rules change needed for devaluation of contest day

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 4:40:38 PM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:
Was there the recommended consultation about a "fair and safe" start with the task advisers? Did anyone pipe up on the radio and say "it is impossible to stay up anywhere near the start cylider, I think starting the task right now would be very unfair?"

John Cochrane

I'm not sure whether advisors were consulted. I know that I was consulted twice I presume because I was the last designated launcher. On one occasion I reported to the CD that I was gliding with no lift found; and on the other occasion, if I remember correctly, I advised that I was in one knot at 1500 AGL. Immediately after that report, the CD confirmed that the task would open in 5 minutes. I was surprised at that. Before I launched there had already been numerous relights in the class.

And I'll say again: I'm not whining about any of this. Ron did a great job with lots of quick decisions to be made yesterday. The culprit was the damn thunderstorm outflow.