Old December 15th 18, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default PowerMouse vs Power Flarm - Updates by March? hardware/software -ADS-R, TIS-B

Darryl,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

The main reason I would equip with TABS on my Trig T22 is if ATC would allow a clearance to briefly transit Restricted airspace or Class B,C. In my area the most common scenario is transiting the corner of a restricted area after talking with Joshua Approach (Edwards AFB). Do you think ATC would continue to allow this with a TABS device? ... i.e. ... we are still visible with SSR but not fully 2020 ADS-B compliant. In my mind, the jury is still out regarding this scenario.

That's why I'll wait until after Jan 1, 2020... to see how this all pans out. The cost (power, space and $) of full ADS-B out compliance is too high at this point.

Certainly, there are good reasons for having ADS-B out using TABS... mainly being a good "aviation citizen"... and visible accurately to other aircraft. There are other reasons: triggering ADS-R, TIS-B, being visible to FlightAware ground stations, strong PowerFlarm target, and AERION for search and rescue/tracking. Why shouldn't ATC also have this benefit by seeing us as a SIL=1 TABS target?

I know... you are just the messenger of this insane system

Walt Rogers