Old September 4th 09, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Default Twin take off on one engine?

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:42:52 -0700 (PDT), Richard wrote in
:

... I googled the heck out of it and could not find any thing single
engine take off of a 747.

I couldn't find anything I thought was reliable--some
claims and counterclaims on groups or forums like this.

What is clear is that the 747 can and has done lots of
ferry flights with one of the four engines inoperative.

If you're already up in the air with decent altitude
and a light payload, one engine might keep you in
the air.

My personal bet is that one engine won't do for liftoff.
Two would probably be OK. Three--people have done it,
so there's no doubt about it.

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.