Old August 21st 03, 04:18 AM
Kyler Laird

"Peter Duniho" writes:

TCP uses sliding windows to allow constant streaming of data to occur as
long as the latency in the connection is "reasonable". That is, it will
send many packets before needing to receive any acknowledgement even for the
first packet. As long as the acknowledgements start coming in time, the
latency of the connection will NOT affect throughput AT ALL. A latency of
500ms is MORE than reasonable in this context.

Everything you're saying makes sense to me, but you might want to hang
around on news:comp.protocols.tcp-ip for awhile. I regularly notice
people trying to debug satellite TCP issues there.

It's quite possible that it's just a matter of getting all of the
settings tweaked everywhere, but it seems to cause a lot of grief.

--kyler