Old March 23rd 18, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The inadvisability of charging LiFePO4 batteries below 32F/0C(aka below freezing)

Can you explain what was "bad" with this battery, and can such a problem develop eventually in a good battery? I'm puzzled what would cause the fuse at the battery to blow when there wasn't a short circuit downstream.

On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 12:56:41 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Not a direct reply, but I took delivery of a brand new glider from Schleicher that had one (out of four) bad LFP battery. All the batteries are fused at the battery with circuit breaker on panel for each instrument. Kept blowing fuses. Schleicher told me they had not heard of a battery going bad, but quickly refunded monies to purchase a new battery. No problems with new battery. I have also had a NiCad runaway on a helicopter (at sunset of course in the mountains). Batteries burn really well. Life is full of risk v reward. Know your risks and reward.