Old August 3rd 05, 10:26 AM
sleepy6

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:53:26 GMT,
(sleepy6) wrote:

I see it a little different Ron. Instead of an FAA written approval
process, the FAA approved and accepted the procedures in the consenso

us
standards for LSA. The FAA had to publish that official approval in
the federal register. They have also stated that if other consensous

standards from other sources were written, the FAA could approve or n

ot
approve those standards for the design and construction of LSA as wel

l.
Without that FAA approval, the consensous standards (and standards
approved by other countries) mean nothing.

In other words, I think the planes produced under the consensous
standards are "produced under FAA approval" the same as type certifie

planes are produced under FAA approval.

Sorry, can't agree. In the initial publication of the LSA/Sport Pilot
Rules and
the logic behind them, the FAA has this key statement:

"The use of Form 337 is not required because special light-sport aircr
aft will
be built to a consensus standard "accepted" by the FAA, but not "appro
ved" by
the FAA." (page 136 of the Word document).

There is a lot in that document that isn't anything like the present
rules so I don't put much faith in it anymore.

Also the statement you quote could be interpreted as saying that
because the planes are built to the consensous standards, no changes
are permitted. There are now provisions where all changes must be
approved by the manufacturer. There is also a system simular to ADs
that the manufacturer handles instead of the FAA.

This is echoed by FAA Order 3120-2F Change one, Paragraph 121 d:

"d. Light-Sport Aircraft Construction. The manufacturer of an aircraft
for
airworthiness certification in the light-sport category must manufactu
re the
aircraft to the design requirements and quality system of the applicab
le
consensus standard that has been accepted by the FAA and published thr
ough a
notice of availability in the Federal Register."

"Accept" is not the same as "Approve." Imagine your best friend sayin
g to you,
"I'm gay." Responding, "I accept" is a HECK of a lot different than s
aying "I
approve." :-)

Ron Wanttaja

You are correct about the gay part but you might be splitting hairs
when it comes to the FAA. There must be other references in the FARs
and 8130. I hope you are right Ron but I'm gonna reserve judgement
until I see it in operation. The FAA has continued to make changes and
clarifications as the problems have shown up. This issue just hasn't
been in the spotlight yet because the last I heard, there has only been
one 16 hour class and no 120 hour classes yet. Blakely has talked
about 44 sport pilots so far and another source said 100. Either way
it's gonna be a while before this becomes an issue.

As long as a SP can fly the lighter weight experimental amature built
planes, I don't expect to ever get involved with the consensous
standards planes anyway.