Old May 14th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron A.[_4_]

Default Jeppesen skybound

King ties the Jepp update to the gps unit serial# on at least the older
units during the actual download so it won't function even if copied.

I am aware of a way to copy the Jepp cards and they work, but it isn't worth
the effort. I would rather see people pay for their own copy since I pay
for mine.

C J Campbell wrote

Has anyone managed to figgure out a fix for this dog?

Complain to Jeppesen. A lot. They need to fire their whole software
development department and get some guys with real-world experience
with some 21st century technology.

Not defending them but they have probably done some anti-copy hacks,
to make it difficult to duplicate the cartridges. Can one just
duplicate the cartridges and share them? If not, why not?

Honeywell use a hacked file system in their KLN94 CF cartridges, which
plays havoc with compatibility.